Nuclear Safety Engineer
EDF EPR Engineering UK (EPR-E) is a subsidiary of Edvance, which is a joint venture between EDF and Framatome, established in 2018 in charge of the design and the realisation of nuclear islands for new projects in France and worldwide.
In particular, EPR-E is responsible for the design and construction of the nuclear island for Hinkley Point C (HPC) project and preparing the design replication and engineering activities for the Sizewell C (SZC) Project.
For the HPC project, we are currently looking to recruit for the role of Nuclear Safety Engineer for EDF EPR Engineering UK Ltd (EPR-E). EPR-E is a subsidiary of Edvance, located in the UK (mainly in Bristol), to support the HPC and SZC projects. EPR-E’s role is to deliver part of the engineering scope, and to contribute to Edvance project management (quality, technical integration, and project control).
The role of Nuclear Safety Engineer provides a range of oversight activities in support of the integrated engineering teams working at EPR-E, acting as an independent assessor and advisor for the application of internal processes and nuclear design codes, as well as developing and promoting Nuclear Safety Culture across the organisation. They will interact with the teams in Bristol and the Joint Design Office on HPC site to ensure accuracy, consistency and robustness of Nuclear Safety related deliverables.
The role reports to the Nuclear Safety & Quality Manager and is part of the EPR-E Nuclear Safety & Quality team. The position arises due to the scope transfer of design work to EPR-E in the UK. As a result, this position will be based in Bristol, UK (with occasional travel to HPC site and Paris).
Key relationships to the Nuclear Safety Engineer:
- Integrated engineering teams based in Bristol (EPR-E) and HPC Site (Joint Design Office).
- EPR-E Nuclear Safety & Quality Manager & Team
- EPR-E Chief Engineer, CEO and COO
- Edvance DACI (Independent Oversight) team members and managers (based in France)
Principal Accountabilities and activities of the Nuclear Safety Engineer will include:
- Planning and managing an independent Nuclear Safety oversight program for EPR-E deliverables and other key activities
- Performing independent reviews of EPR-E engineering deliverables across a wide variety of topics and systems
- Assessing the performance of EPR-E processes to ensure that Nuclear Safety is prioritised appropriately
- Assessing Nuclear Safety trends and providing independent advice to improve standards across the organisation
- Participating in decision-making processes and meetings to provide an independent Nuclear Safety viewpoint
- Advising engineering personnel on Nuclear Safety, nuclear regulatory issues and safety categorisation of design changes
- Routine reporting on Nuclear Safety performance to EPR-E (UK) and Edvance (France)
- Developing and delivering Nuclear Safety-related awareness training
- Contributing to the organisational development of Nuclear Safety Culture.
To be considered, the following qualifications, skills and experience are essential:
- Engineering or science degree (or equivalent qualification)
- Relevant experience working in a highly-regulated / safety-conscious industry
- Knowledge of relevant nuclear safety related codes, standards and practices
- Knowledge and/or experience of nuclear reactor design, operations and safety
- Experience in applying nuclear safety principles and/or regulations to the review of nuclear facility design and/or operation
- Fluent English.
The following are desirable:
- Experience of EPR or PWR specific nuclear design codes and standards
- Experience with modification/design change and safety categorization processes
- Experience within a Design Authority, Responsible Designer or Safety Assurance team
- Experience developing and/or delivering Nuclear Safety related training material
- Membership of a professional institution, either as a Chartered member or working toward this
- Working knowledge of French language.
- Ability to influence and encourage decisions
- Ability to effectively manage own workload, produce high quality documents and respect deadlines.
Please note: This position will be based at our Aztec West offices in Bristol with hybrid working available (min 3 days in office)