Radiological Protection Engineer
EDF EPR Engineering UK (EPR-E) is a subsidiary of Edvance, which is a joint venture between EDF and Framatome, established in 2018 in charge of the design and the realisation of nuclear islands for new projects in France and worldwide.
In particular, EPR-E is responsible for the design and construction of the nuclear island for Hinkley Point C (HPC) project and preparing the design replication and engineering activities for the Sizewell C (SZC) Project.
At HPC we are building two new nuclear reactors, the first in a new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK providing low carbon electricity for around six million homes.
For the HPC project, we are looking to recruit for the role of Radiological Protection Engineer.
The Radiological Protection Engineer ensures that the Buildings within EDF EPR Engineering UK’s scope of responsibility meet the radiological protection requirements as required by the Nuclear Safety Authority.
The Radiological Protection Engineer reports to the Team Leader and works alongside other Radiological Protection Engineers. They work closely with other engineering disciplines within EDF EPR Engineering UK and Paris/Lyon and are part of the extended Radiological Protection team mainly based in Edvance Paris and Lyon.
Based on radiological protection requirements and technical documents supplied by systems engineers (circuit operation, space requirement drawings, etc.), technical documents supplied by the architect engineer (location of sources of radioactivity) the Radiological Protection Engineer will:
Support the building design team for the detailed design of the nuclear island buildings
- Give advice to the designer regarding the radiological protection constraints (shielding needs, operational constraints, waste management, etc.) that could impact the Civil and Layout design of the building.
- Assess any civil and layout modifications that could impact the radiological and contamination zoning requirements of the building.
- Ensure that the design is consistent with UK context requirements.
Undertake studies and calculations relating to the spread of radiation
- From 3D model extracts, model the areas with PANTHERE software and assign various source terms (sources of radioactivity).
- Produce simulations for calculating the thickness of protection screens, depending on the reactor’s operating conditions, the geometry of the premises and the radioactive sources involved.
Provide analysis of the results and writing of technical reports
- Writes the radiation protection calculation reports in order to define the radiological zoning and contamination zoning of the buildings.
- Issues recommendations for protection screens:
– Defines the radiological classification of premises and systems.
– Defines the necessary protective devices and biological doors.
– Advises building leaders on the optimisation of premises.
- Supplies studies and recommendations to the layout teams.
To be considered, we require the following skills and experience:
- Experience in radiological protection requirements and EPR technology
- Knowledge of MCNP and Panthere
- Microsoft Tools
- Previous experience of working on a nuclear site would be advantageous and desirable
- English fluent (essential)
- French is a distinct advantage
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and have the ability to consider the overall picture.
- Proactive, work autonomously and be able to work to tight deadlines.
- Good attention to detail
Alors rejoignez-nous, nous avons plus d’un atome en commun.