Technical Lead (Fluid Systems)
EPR-E are recruiting for a Fluid Systems Technical Lead to support our Sizewell C Project.
The Technical Lead will oversee the engineering activities within their scope of systems, including management of assignments and supporting the Group Leader in the management of workload and schedule, mentoring and supporting system engineers, cascading priorities to the system engineer and escalating difficulties to the Group Leader.
In S1 2024, these activities will include the handover of systems from EDVANCE France teams to SCF team. The Technical Lead will have a key role to ensure the success of these transfers:
- Assessing the maturity of the systems transferred,
- Understanding the remaining design issues,
- Ensuring clear communication with EDVANCE France in setting up the to-do list and schedule for the transfer,
- Supporting the receiver system engineer in upskilling on the knowledge of the transferred systems.
The Technical Lead will also oversee system activities such as:
- Preparation of the Systems Design Manuals
- Design of the systems (including definition of the P&ID, thermal-hydraulic calculations, safety features)
- Population of the “process” specification databases (DIAGRAMS, TAGS2D, DFD, CONDUITE, BANANAS, etc.)
- Preparation of documents for systems operations (Periodic test)
- Preparation of documents for the requirements for Control & Instrumentation
- Management of the supplier feedback from contracts team impacting the design of the systems
The Technical Lead will be responsible for:
Acting as a technical specialist for 5 BNI systems scope. Using knowledge and skills by:
- Ensuring the ownership of overall Architect role for assigned systems within the BNI systems scope
- Technical checking of documents such as deliverables and engineering change notes, ensuring quality and respect of milestones
- Providing advice and support to system engineers regarding system design, technical issues resolution, calculations applying fluid mechanics and thermodynamic principles, modelling
- Applying UK specific legislation and best practice in the field of BNI systems design
- Aiding system production if/when necessary
- Managing proactively with all stakeholders around the system in Edvance to ensure the delivery of a product meeting the requirements and milestones set by all disciplines (layout, civil, contracts, nuclear safety, hazards, electrical, I&C, environment, commissioning, etc.)
- Meeting customer’s need (NNB)
Ensuring oversight of:
- Open Points resolution and Design Changes specification to the systems: supporting the system engineers putting forward technical solutions, driving optioneering and impact analysis, challenging needs for modifications, defining specifications for the changes, then ensuring consistency before integration in system documentation
- Identification of potential challenges to the delivery schedule and taking action to eliminate risks and ensure committed dates are respected.
(Full description available on request)
Essential Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Mechanical or Process Engineering degree or equivalent qualification
- Working knowledge of process engineering, thermal-hydraulic calculations, fluid mechanics and modelling
- Minimum 5 to 10 years of experience in systems design for nuclear power plant
- Knowledge of EPR system design principles, operation and safety rules
- Knowledge of Instrumentation and Control design
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively manage own workload in order to produce high quality documents and respect deadlines, ability to work under pressure, ability to anticipate difficulties and able to balance conflicting priorities
- Ability to productively coach and support others within the team
- Good organizational, writing and oral expression skills in English are essential for the realization of the activities of document production, steering and interfaces with the various correspondents
- Proactive and confident in communicating with others, particularly those based in remote offices including France and Germany.
- Proactive in developing positive working relations with others within the project
- Continuously looking for opportunities to improve quality of engineering studies and the subsequent documentation produced
- English: fluent
Desirable qualifications, experience and skills:
- Advanced knowledge of EPR system design principles, operation and safety classification/rules, Instrumentation and Control design
- Knowledge of main cooling and/or fire-fighting systems on an EPR project, or other BNI systems’ design
- Experience of working on an EPR project, operating nuclear power plant or on an industrial site
- Ability to read technical documents in French
Edvance is a joint venture between EDF and Framatome, an EPCC established in 2018 in charge of the design (basic design) and the realization (studies, procurement, erection, testing and commissioning) of nuclear islands for new projects in France and worldwide.
In particular, EDF EPR Engineering UK is responsible for delivering the design for a number of Nuclear Island buildings, systems and equipment contracts for the Hinkley Point C EPR Project through an integrated team, support to Hinkley Point C (HPC) construction and commissioning activities and preparing design replication feasibility and engineering activities for the Sizewell C Project (SZC). Therefore, a Discipline Directorate is being created, responsible for the engineering disciplines and technical expertise required to deliver the different engineering projects through integrated teams in EDF EPR Engineering UK.
Location: Bristol (minimum 3 days in the office). Potential trips to Paris (max twice per year) or HPC site.
Spécialité : O1 - Pilotage performance & processus
Niveau d’études (tous) Bac+4
Lieu : Royaume-Uni, Bristol, Aztec West
Déplacements : 25%
Niveau d’emploi : Ingénieur & Cadre
Alors rejoignez-nous, nous avons plus d’un atome en commun.