Join EDF as an Environmental Engineer, and you’ll join one of the most exciting and challenging projects within EDF, as we continue to lead the rebirth of nuclear in the UK.
At Hinkley Point C (HPC) we are building two new nuclear reactors, the first in a new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK providing low carbon electricity for around six million homes.
As an Environmental Engineer, you will be involved with both the HPC and SZC Project activities. In this role you will be working inside the Transverse Discipline Section, in charge of Environment and Safety topics for EPR-E UK.
This role sits within EPR-E UK which is a joint venture between EDF and Framatome, an EPCC established in 2018 in charge of the design (basic design) and the realization (studies, procurement, erection, testing and commissioning) of nuclear islands for new projects in France and worldwide. Spearhead of the French nuclear industry, it aims through its objectives and challenges of economic competitiveness and performance, to position itself sustainably in nuclear markets internationally and those of the renewal of the French fleet.
In this role , the Environmental Engineer will lead on environmental technical topics and be required to engage with the full breadth of the Project teams and client as well as provide support to the Environmental Team Lead and wider Environment Team.
As part of the Environment Team, the Environmental Engineer will be required to provide high quality support and excellent levels of professionalism to the design teams, while ensuring the design and implementation of the design meets the environmental requirements and standards that would be expected of such prestigious Projects.
This is an excellent opportunity for a candidates with a strong engineering and environmental background to be part of building one of the largest, most complex projects in Europe; and ensure the success of nuclear as a key element in the energy mix of the UK by supporting the growing SZC Project.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Managing technical topics relating to the environmental requirements for systems and buildings as part of the design.
- Supporting the design, construction and commissioning phases with technical requests and design changes by providing technical expertise.
- Contributing or reviewing of corresponding reports in cooperation with other design entities and the Client for the systems and buildings within the scope of EPR-E.
- Supporting the EPR-E UK referent and other teams to identify of environmental regulations applicable to HPC and SZC sites.
- Being involved on Assessment Findings from regulator on EPR-E scope of systems and buildings to support SZC replication strategy.
- Supporting system engineers and civil and layout sections of EPR-E (in Paris and Bristol) to ensure functional requirements, operational regimes, effluent and waste characteristics and monitoring, waste management strategy, and other environment.
To be considered, we require the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Degree qualified Engineer (in an appropriate scientific or engineering discipline)
- Experienced in working in an engineering project.
- Knowledge of environmental requirement implementation and environmental studies and assessments (preferably from a highly regulated industry).
- Knowledge of the demonstration of Best Available Techniques (BAT).
- Knowledge of Nuclear Safety Assessment Principles and experience of their application.
- Appropriate academic background to support working as an Environmental Engineer.
- Experience in the area of system design and layout engineering.
- Knowledge and the ability to navigate PDMS and Navisworks software.